Followers

Wednesday 7 March 2018

Masking Up a Scene

Hello everyone, I have a project to share with you that was created for the February TV shows on Hochanda. I wanted to show how to create a scene using polyester sheets as a quick and simple mask or stencil.

I chose two stamps from the Sunburst Scenes stamp set, and placed one of them onto a piece of copy paper where I thought a hill might be in my design. I drew the hill with a pencil, and then using a piece of polyester over the top, drew the line again with a permanent pen. I cut through the polyester along the line and was left with the positive and negative part of the mask. I also planned a set of masks for smaller cards by drawing the shape of a smaller card on a piece of copy paper, and creating a hill in the same way.

Once I had the masks, I stamped the windmill and house onto a piece of smooth cartridge paper that had been trimmed to size, and covered them with an image stamped onto masking tissue. I used my 'hill' mask to draw the hill underneath the windmill, joining up with the line attached to the stamp design. I reversed the mask to add another hill behind the first hill, and then drew the final smaller hill in the foreground by hand. I used both masks to cover over the areas as I needed to, so that I could add colour for the sky and hills. To create a bit of depth in the hills, I added some deeper green once the initial colour had been placed all over the area.

I also created a stencil from polyester using circle dies so that I could add suns or moons in various sizes, and I used one of these to add a sun in the sky. I kept the blue inking quite blotchy, to give an impression of a cloudy sky.

The house and windmill were coloured with pencils once I had removed the masks. I added some birds from the Landscape Edges stamp set, and a sentiment from the Amazing Mackintosh Words stamp set.


Thanks for stopping by, xx

4 comments:

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Lovely scene on your card, your masking with polyester has had a great result! Thanks for sharing

Evy Browning said...

The cloudy sky is so effective & the birds add that little extra touch of detail whilst balancing the bottom house & the composition as a whole. The sentiment is perfect & I love the effect of your shading beneath the house & windmill.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading through your article post.
I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

Anonymous said...

I like the valuable information you supply in your articles.

I will bookmark your blog and check once more right here regularly.
I'm somewhat sure I'll be informed a lot of new stuff right here!
Good luck for the following!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...